Art is subjective, but who gets to make art is a bit unbalanced. For many centuries, the people with the time and space to have their work shared, paid for, and appreciated were mostly cis men. Their perspective has been disseminated widely, especially in literature.
Things have been changing, but there are still some tropes that persist. The Male Gaze and the Male Voice is everywhere and it’s still looking at women and describing them. Horribly.
Twitter account @men_write_women and subreddit r/menwritingwomen both share submissions of writing by male authors about women characters. Not all writing by men about women is terrible, but the following selections definitely are.
Did you know boobs have a million emotions? They’re startled, tired, happy, smiling, mocking, accusatory. Men are always looking at boobs because they truly think they are the window to a woman’s soul! Give your breasts a laugh with these nightmare descriptions of how men see women. Then read a book by Margaret Atwood or something.
1. Woman Is Human
2. That Would Make Waxing Very Interesting
3. This Must Make All Purchases SUPER Awkward
4. Yeah, I’m Sure That’s The Only Issue
5. Doctor, Help Me! I Have Hips-Ass-Chest!
7. Breasts Have So Many Inside Jokes
8. Boobs Don’t Interfere With Firing A Gun, Actually
9. Nothing Sexier Than Pastries Crammed In Velvet
10. Honestly, This Whole Thing Is An Attack
11. The Only Boob To Eye Connection Is Your Oggling, Dude
12. That’s Not How Stretch Marks Work
13. What Type??
14. TFW You Wake Up And He’s Watching You Sleep
16. Blessed Be The Cellulite Free
17. Down, Girls!
18. Get A Life, Hottie, Instead Of Complicated Interests!
19. Not To Body Shame, But What Shape Are They?!
20. Leave The Astronauts Alone
22. Are They House Trained?
23. Disembodied Breasts Are The Next Step In Evolution
24. This Is What They Think Is Going On Inside Us
Maybe men don’t want to go past breasts because they think they’ll only find a terrifying piss maze?