Republican Darrell Issa Concedes His District Before Polls Even Open

After serving in Congress for 18 years, Republican Rep. Darrell Issa of California is retiring from his suburban San Diego district. And early Tuesday morning, before the polls even opened, Issa went on Fox News and conceded that his seat would be taken by a Democrat.

“Quite frankly, we know the results already,” Issa told Fox News. “It will be a Democrat representing La Jolla to Solana Beach for the first time in a number of years. Someday it will be taken back, but for now, California is leaning very hard to the left.” 

According to FiveThirtyEight, the race for the seat in the 49th District is going to Democratic candidate Mike Levin. The polling site gave Levin a 96 percent chance of winning, meaning his opponent, Republican Diane Harkey, stands only a 4 percent chance.

“We’ve been outspent two-to-one, but there’s been enough money to get the message out there,” Issa admitted.

Speaking to Fox News, Issa said he is “looking forward to life after Congress.” The White House announced in September that President Donald Trump nominated Issa for the head of the United States Trade and Development Agency.

h/t The Hill


Written by Dean Altman

Dean Altman is a writer living in NYC.