Former Trump White House senior aide Omarosa Manigault-Newman has been on a media blitz promoting her new tell-all book Unhinged about her time in the Trump administration. To help juice interest in the book, the spurned Trump advisor has been dropping small nuggets of gossip and, more intriguingly, secret audio recordings she made during her stint in the White House and while working on the 2016 Trump campaign. She’s already released a recording of White House Chief of Staff John Kelly firing her and Trump (cowardly) calling to claim he knew nothing about the firing. Today she dropped the most incendiary recording—Trump campaign staffers talking about how to deal with the fallout from another recording of him using the n-word.
During today’s White House press briefing, Trump Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked, “Can you stand at the podium and guarantee the American people will never hear Donald Trump utter the n-word on a recording in any context?”
JUST IN: White House Press Sec. Sanders says she can’t guarantee that a recording of the president using “the N-word” will never be heard by the American people.
It remains unclear if such a recording exists. pic.twitter.com/1BEu9cVhk9
— NBC News (@NBCNews) August 14, 2018
“Ah, I can’t guarantee, uh, anything,” Sanders stammered, “But I can tell you the president addressed this question directly,” she said, referring to Trump’s late-night tweetstorm. “I can tell you I’ve never heard it. I can also tell you that if myself or the people that are in this building serving this country every single day, doing our very best to help people all across this country and make it better—if at any point we felt that the president was who some of his critics claim him to be, we certainly wouldn’t be here,” she continued.
Sanders then pivoted to stale talking points about all the jobs for African-Americans Trump “created,” while not missing a chance to attack our first black president.
NOTABLE: Sanders says she can’t guarantee that the American people will never hear a recording of Trump saying the N-word.
She then pivots to attacking Obama ? pic.twitter.com/BW8kpd5n57
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 14, 2018
So there you have it! It’s entirely possible there’s a tape floating around out there where Trump, in some context, uses the n-word. Real red-letter day for the folks working at the White House who, according to Sanders, are doing their “very best to help people all across this country and make it better” (my, she’s got a way with words).
By the way, here’s a short list of scandals Sarah Huckabee Sanders didn’t deem fit to abandon Trump over (many of which she even lied about or otherwise defended from the podium):
• The Access Hollywood tape, wherein Trump brags about committing sexual assault while he was married to Melania Trump.
• Trump’s bigoted “Muslim ban.”
• Trump praising neo-Nazis as “very fine people” and refusing to condemn their actions.
• Trump calling Sen. Elizabeth Warren “Pocahontas” in front of Native Americans veterans.
• Trump’s disrespectful call to the African-American widow of a fallen soldier and Chief of Staff John Kelly’s lies attacking the African-American congresswoman who brought it to light.
• Trump hiring, refusing to fire, then praising alleged wife beater Rob Porter.
• Trump referring to Haiti and Nigeria as “sh*thole” countries.
• Trump’s adulterous affairs with Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal and the subsequent lies about them.
• Trump separating migrant children from their families and tossing them into internment camps.
• Trump’s numerous smears of prominent African-Americans using racially coded dog whistle attacks.
There are, of course, several other examples of the president’s disgusting behavior that Sanders has either ignored, lied about, or defended, but you get the idea.